In Canada, there is a high demand for foreign workers in various industries, including the transportation sector. As a result, driving jobs are in high demand in the country.
Many companies, both established and growing, are seeking skilled drivers to transport goods and individuals to their desired destinations. This presents an opportunity for foreign workers who possess the necessary qualifications and skills to apply for these jobs.
With a significant shortage of qualified drivers in Canada, the country’s transportation sector presents an attractive opportunity for foreign workers looking to pursue a career in driving.
In this article, we are going to look at what driving is all about, how to become a driver, the requirements needed for you to be employed as a driver and the Available driver’s jobs in Canada.
What is Driving?
Driving involves the act of using a vehicle, such as a car, to travel from one place to another. It is a means of transportation that is commonly used by people.
Driving can also be a profitable career, as some individuals use their personal vehicles as taxis to transport people to various locations in exchange for payment.
However, not all driving jobs are financially rewarding, and they carry their own risks and rewards, with payment methods differing across different types of driving jobs.
There are two primary categories of driving jobs: driving commercial vehicles such as trucks or driving taxis.
In this article, we will explore various companies in Canada that are currently offering driving jobs to foreigners.
Available Drivers Jobs in Canada
There are different types of drivers we would be taking note of and will equally be discussing.
- Truck drivers
- Delivery drivers
- Taxi Drivers
We would take a look at some of these jobs and the opportunities in them.
1. Truck Driver
Truck driving is intended for the transportation of goods, materials, or products from their origin, whether it is a farm or any other location, to their intended destination or storage location.
Out of all the driving types we will discuss today, truck driving is considered the most financially rewarding. Truck driving requires specific skills and training, and those who have experience driving trucks are often capable of driving other types of vehicles, whether they are manual or automatic.
In Canada, there are various kinds of truck driving, including long-haul and short-haul driving. However, before considering a career in truck driving, it’s important to recognize the risks involved, including a higher likelihood of accidents.
To become a truck driver, it’s necessary to undergo proper training, ideally from experienced professionals with a good track record.
As a truck driver, you will be responsible for driving for extended periods, sometimes at night, to transport goods to their intended destinations, as well as loading and unloading products and keeping track of the number of items loaded onto the truck.
To become a truck driver, there are several requirements that you need to fulfill. These include:
- Possessing a valid and up-to-date driving license that is appropriate for the type of vehicle you intend to drive.
- Successfully passing a drug and alcohol test, which is mandatory in most countries to ensure driver safety.
- Providing a current Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) to show that you have a clean driving history.
- Providing a medical certificate from an accredited hospital or healthcare provider, demonstrates that you are physically fit to drive and able to perform the necessary duties of a truck driver.
- Possess good communication skills, as you will need to interact with different people, including your colleagues, customers, and supervisors, on a daily basis.
The salary of a truck driver in Canada is from $65,000 to $130,000
2. Delivery Driver
Delivery driving is another type of driving that can be lucrative. As a delivery driver, you are responsible for delivering items such as pizza or other products to customers.
The amount of money paid to a delivery driver typically depends on the distance they travel during their journey.
To become a delivery driver, there are several requirements that you need to meet. These include:
- Having good mechanical skills to ensure that the vehicle you are using is in good condition.
- Being able to communicate well with clients, as you will need to interact with them on a regular basis and be able to address any concerns they may have.
- Paying attention to loading and unloading to ensure that all items are accounted for.
- Possessing a valid and up-to-date driver’s license that is appropriate for the type of vehicle you are driving.
- Passing drug and alcohol tests, as this is mandatory in most countries to ensure driver safety.
The average salary of someone who works as a delivery driver is $35,000 annually.
3. Taxi or Commercial Driver
Indeed, we are discussing the business aspect of driving jobs. One such job is that of a taxi or rideshare driver, who transports passengers to their desired locations upon request.
These days, people often use services such as Uber or Lyft to hail rides from their smartphones.
Taxi drivers can earn a good amount of money by transporting passengers to various destinations within the city they operate in.
The fares charged for rides can increase significantly when a passenger needs to travel outside the city. While not as lucrative as truck driving, being a taxi driver can still be a profitable venture.
To become a successful taxi driver, there are several requirements that you need to meet. These include:
- Being friendly and courteous to passengers, as providing excellent customer service is essential in this profession.
- Possessing good communication skills to be able to understand passengers’ needs and address any concerns they may have.
- Being available to work at any time, as taxi services operate 24/7.
- Having a valid and up-to-date driver’s license that is appropriate for the type of vehicle you are driving.
- Passing both drug and alcohol tests, as this is mandatory in most countries to ensure driver safety.
- Being law-abiding, as taxi drivers are required to adhere to traffic laws and regulations while operating a vehicle.
If you want to be a taxi driver, we advise you to take it seriously and you have the chance of making up to $40,000 annually from just driving people.
We have discussed several types of driver jobs that are available in Canada, including truck driving, delivery driving, and taxi driving.
Each of these jobs has its own set of requirements and challenges, but they all offer the potential for earning a good income.
It’s important to research each job thoroughly and determine which one is the best fit for your skills, interests, and goals.